Preparing a black and white book for printing - for beginners
The files for printing the book should be submitted only in PDF format.
The PDF format is the optimal format for carrying any graphic design and publication. Thanks to internal compression and a special structure, PDF has a small file size and ensures that our project will look the same on every computer, which is not standard in the case of other formats.
Before you save your document to PDF
make sure that during the composition the rules necessary for the correct printing of the work described below have been followed.
Defining the page of a PDF document
Page area (trimbox): e.g. 297x210 mm
The format of the page we work on must correspond to the format of the book ordered
Margin : 10 - 20 mm
When designing, all important design elements such as text, drawings, etc. should not be closer to the edge of the page than indicated by the margin. For this purpose, it is worth defining a safe margin in the application.
If the inside pages have a printed background that extends to the edge of the page
Page bleed : 2 mm - 3 mm
In the PDF format, known as bleedbox, it is the background of the page that should protrude beyond the page size by 2-3 mm. The bleed of the page during bookbinding is trimmed, which allows to exclude the occurrence of white edges on the edges of the pages. edges. In the case of no bleed in the document, the printing house automatically reduces the final format of the book by a few millimeters in order to avoid white edges.
If the spine does not contain text and has the background color of the cover (e.g. white), you do not need to do anything, place the cover in the document together with the middle pages, keeping the correct page order. If the spine has a text or a color other than the cover, its thickness should be selected according to the number of pages. For this purpose, you can consult the printing house or use the basic rule of multiplying the number of sheets (not pages) x the thickness of the paper. In this case, the cover must be submitted for printing in a separate PDF document.
- Amber Graphic 80g / 90g - 0.10mm / 0.11mm
- Ecobook fluffed 2.0 60g / 70g - 0.12mm / 0.14
- Ecobook Lux fluffed 1.8 80g / 90g - 0.14 mm / 0.16
- Chalked glossy / matte 130g - 0.09mm / 0.10mm
- Chalked glossy / matte 170g - 0.12mm / 0.14mm
Export / save the finished work to PDF
Each graphic program and text editor have the ability to save / export the project to PDF format. When selecting the export / save to PDF option, the option to select advanced settings appears.
In graphic programs, there are usually predefined settings for exporting to PDF, in this case we choose according to availability:
- PDF / X-4: 2008
- PDF / X-3: 2002
- PDF / X-1a: 2001
- printing quality
The pictures opposite show how to export from popular programs.
Loading of ready-made designs for printing
Loading projects is available only to logged in users.
A printable project in PDF format can be uploaded before placing an order in order to check its production preview or after placing an order for printing.
To load a PDF project
- after placing the order , press the "load" button next to the order visible in the "my orders" list
- before placing an order , select the "check project" button in the product configurator. After placing the order, the file for printing should be reloaded or the printer should be informed by e-mail in order to redirect the appropriate document for printing.
After the PDF file is loaded
the document should be marked as a set in case a complete document including a cover and center is loaded, or as a cover / center in case two separate documents are loaded. Marking documents is necessary to start the preview creation procedure.
After marking the uploaded files, you will receive an e-mail with a preview link with the lines superimposed:
- red-gray is the cutting area (trimbox) corresponds to the format of the finished product
- gray-and-white is the bleedbox - the page background must reach here
- green and white is the recommended margin for text and important objects (artbox)
When the previews are valid
Click the "start production" button under the preview link. The printing house will proceed with the order if it has already been paid.
When previews are invalid
You can delete the loaded file and then reload the corrected project.
Popular mistakes in PDF documents
- document format different from the format of the ordered product
- page orientation other than the ordered product
- poorly defined page fields of a PDF document
- no bleed
- the text on the bend
- text right on the edge of the cut
How to prepare a PDF document for printing from Microsoft Publisher
The method of preparing a PDF document for printing from Microsoft Word
Due to the fact that Microsoft Word does not support the CMYK design mode, we do not recommend this program for composing color works.
The method of preparing a PDF document for printing from the Open Office program
PDF page fields
Adobe Acrobat allows you to check that the page fields of a PDF document are defined correctly.